SEF Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SEF Forum

The St Louis Area's Best Boxing Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Jesse Finney...is he the real deal?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
SEFPREZ

SEFPREZ

Jesse Finney...is he the real deal? Empty
PostSubject: Jesse Finney...is he the real deal?   Jesse Finney...is he the real deal? Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 2:58 pm

I have talked with some big names in the local fight scene (MMA specifically) that find (according to them) some of the matchmaking in his fights 'less than stellar'. Personally, I've seen him fight...and he looks impressive against limited competition, but the consensus is that he's an overblown kickboxer who will fail against some of the more hard core jiu jitzu guys out there.

Not trying to start controversy here, just want some honest opinions. I am not the most educated MMA person here, and I know there is a bias for some SEF people...I just want a breakdown and opinion - is Finney as great as he is marketed to be?

PREZ
Back to top Go down
shooter1

PostSubject: Re: Jesse Finney...is he the real deal?   Jesse Finney...is he the real deal? Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 7:52 pm

I think the hype is well deserved. Of course I work for him but, that also gives me more access. Over the last month I have filmed him training with Keiko France who is a BB in Brazillian jiu jitsu and is one of the trainers at American Top Team. He is also a Brazillian National Champion. Also he has been working with Ezra Lenon another jiu jitsu trainer at American Top Team. He has been working with Isiah Larson who is ranked around 5 in Greco Roman wrestling. He also spent a couple weeks in Vegas training at some mma gym. All of this has happened over the last 2 -3 months. He was ready for this fight. His specialty is kickboxing, 23-0, but all of the mma fighters have certain backgrounds that have propelled them to where they are. Some are jiu jitsu, some are strikers, some are wrestlers. The kid he fought yesterday was 14-3. The last 2 Strikeforce shows Jesse fought on he won by submission, not kicking.
He is tough and getting better, more rounded as a fighter.
If there are people out there who still want to see a Berger/Finney match, why? Finney is 7-0 and Berger is 21-20. Since 2006 Berger has won 2 out of his last 9 and the guys he beat are a combined 6-22. There is no upside for Finney to fight Berger.
Don't hate on the guy, just be happy a St Louis guy is doing well. And if Finney wasn't involved in Strikeforce they may have bypassed St Louis altogether.
Back to top Go down
SEFPREZ

SEFPREZ

PostSubject: Re: Jesse Finney...is he the real deal?   Jesse Finney...is he the real deal? Icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 9:27 pm

shooter1 wrote:
I think the hype is well deserved. Of course I work for him but, that also gives me more access. Over the last month I have filmed him training with Keiko France who is a BB in Brazillian jiu jitsu and is one of the trainers at American Top Team. He is also a Brazillian National Champion. Also he has been working with Ezra Lenon another jiu jitsu trainer at American Top Team. He has been working with Isiah Larson who is ranked around 5 in Greco Roman wrestling. He also spent a couple weeks in Vegas training at some mma gym. All of this has happened over the last 2 -3 months. He was ready for this fight. His specialty is kickboxing, 23-0, but all of the mma fighters have certain backgrounds that have propelled them to where they are. Some are jiu jitsu, some are strikers, some are wrestlers. The kid he fought yesterday was 14-3. The last 2 Strikeforce shows Jesse fought on he won by submission, not kicking.
He is tough and getting better, more rounded as a fighter.
If there are people out there who still want to see a Berger/Finney match, why? Finney is 7-0 and Berger is 21-20. Since 2006 Berger has won 2 out of his last 9 and the guys he beat are a combined 6-22. There is no upside for Finney to fight Berger.
Don't hate on the guy, just be happy a St Louis guy is doing well. And if Finney wasn't involved in Strikeforce they may have bypassed St Louis altogether.

Bob - I know you have some bias here, but I really do appreciate the thorough explanation.

I can't hate on Finney...I have only seen him fight a couple of times. Now Berger, I have seen him up close and personal...he is certainly a tough dude.

Like I said, I'm still not really on the MMA bandwagon - and I guess that means that when I see a dude like Kimbo Slice get exposed badly, I wonder how many guys out there have great 'gym' records and hardly anything worth noting in the real ring. I wouldn't fight either one of them - and I'm a complete badass. scratch Very Happy
Back to top Go down
shooter1

PostSubject: Re: Jesse Finney...is he the real deal?   Jesse Finney...is he the real deal? Icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 12:27 am

Berger is a bad ass. He has paid his dues for sure. You know me and I am a boxing guy over MMA.......but I'm coming around. I watched Finney being trained by these Jiu Jitsu guys and learned more in the last 2 months than I did shooting it for the last 6 years. The guys he brought in to train are tough and skilled and Finney held his own.
Finney helped these guys with their striking and they rolled helping his Jiu Jitsu. Finney knew Jiu Jitsu before but now he is much better after getting instructions from these guys. That Kimbo dude, all striker. You get him on the ground and he's done. That is a perfect example of how rounded your skills must be. You cannot be a one-dimensional fighter when you get to the top levels. I go to gyms all the time to watch boxers and MMA guys spar and work out. If you ever want to come along let me know.
We've had a hard time hooking up since you destroyed your phone with a golf cart. But I'll try to call you tomorrow. Big fights coming up.............
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jesse Finney...is he the real deal?   Jesse Finney...is he the real deal? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jesse Finney...is he the real deal?
Page 1 of 1