SEF Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SEF Forum

The St Louis Area's Best Boxing Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

James Toney signed by UFC

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
SEFPREZ

SEFPREZ

James Toney signed by UFC Empty
PostSubject: James Toney signed by UFC   James Toney signed by UFC Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 11:26 am

UFC Signs Boxing Champion James Toney, Debut Date Uncertain

Mike Chiappetta

After a long period of off-again, on-again courtship, the UFC has pulled the trigger and signed 41-year-old boxing champion James Toney.

UFC President Dana White confirmed the signing to MMA Fighting after it was first reported by FiveOuncesofPain.com.

Toney had actively campaigned for a contract from the UFC, following White around the country to several events and eventually meeting with him in Las Vegas. Toney reportedly turned down at least one contract offer before signing.

Asked when Toney would debut, White said he had "no idea."

With a professional boxing record of 73-6-2 with one no contest, Toney is among the great boxers of his era, winning titles in six different weight classes ranging from middleweight to heavyweight. He last fought in Sept. 2009, earning a second-round TKO victory over Matthew Greer.

It's unknown which weight class he will compete in, as his weight has fluctuated from anywhere between 219 to 257 in fights over the last few years, though heavyweight seems the most likely possibility.

In the past, White noted that he may have some trouble promoting Toney as a legitimate mixed martial artist after criticizing other athletes that had made late-career changer like Strikeforce star Herschel Walker, but he always voiced an interest in Toney as a "real fighter" capable of making the transition.

"Listen, let me tell you what: I got blasted this week? Let me make this fight (with Toney)," White said after UFC 108. "That will get me f****** blasted. I'm the first guy out there going, 'This is a freak show. Who would put on a fight like this?' I'm the first guy that would say that. I'm always saying it when freak shows happen. I don't know what's going to happen."

Toney has reportedly been training in MMA for some time in hopes of making his octagon debut. Now it appears he'll finally get the chance he's campaigned for, and in doing so, he will become the most decorated boxer ever to fight in the UFC.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/03/03/ufc-signs-boxing-champion-james-toney-debut-date-uncertain/?ncid=txtlnkusspor00000002
Back to top Go down
FightFanSTL

FightFanSTL

PostSubject: Re: James Toney signed by UFC   James Toney signed by UFC Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 10:24 am

Ryan (Coyne) and I were at UFC 107 in Memphis where Toney was, literally, sitting right in front of us. Ryan and James chatted for a few minutes then Dana came up and suddenly Toney was whisked away. I gotta think the negotiations started that night.

Ultimately, UFC signed him to keep him away from rival promoter Strikeforce (who, by the way, returns to STL in May with what's rumored to be an awesome show).

I expect Toney to fight Kimbo at a catchweight bout of around 215-225 lbs. Perfect fight for both of them....and probably the last we see of the fraud Kimbo in the UFC.
Back to top Go down
SEFPREZ

SEFPREZ

PostSubject: Re: James Toney signed by UFC   James Toney signed by UFC Icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 11:29 am

SEFMike wrote:
Ryan (Coyne) and I were at UFC 107 in Memphis where Toney was, literally, sitting right in front of us. Ryan and James chatted for a few minutes then Dana came up and suddenly Toney was whisked away. I gotta think the negotiations started that night.

Ultimately, UFC signed him to keep him away from rival promoter Strikeforce (who, by the way, returns to STL in May with what's rumored to be an awesome show).

I expect Toney to fight Kimbo at a catchweight bout of around 215-225 lbs. Perfect fight for both of them....and probably the last we see of the fraud Kimbo in the UFC.

Funny - Kimbo is a fraud. Remember the night of Taylor/Pavlik II when we were flipping UFC on and everyone was talking like Kimbo was the second coming...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: James Toney signed by UFC   James Toney signed by UFC Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

James Toney signed by UFC
Page 1 of 1